About Gray Television:
Gray Television is a leading media company that owns and operates high-quality stations in 113 television markets that collectively reach 36 percent of US television households.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
WGEM-TV is a dominant NBC affiliate, serving west central Illinois, northeast Missouri, and southeast Iowa. As the Tri-States’ #1 source for news, information, and entertainment programming, we strive to inform and inspire. WGEM has an unwavering commitment to providing great journalism across multiple platforms. In addition to NBC, WGEM also broadcasts FOX, CW, ME-TV, and a local sports radio station.
WGEM has an opening for a Weekend Sports Anchor/MMJ as part of our three-person Sports Department. This is not a Monday-to-Friday job! WGEM serves the tri-states market of Quincy-Hannibal-Keokuk encompassing one Iowa county, eight Missouri, and seven Illinois counties. During high school football and basketball seasons, we have an extended Friday night sports broadcast, Sports Extra, which involves all staff on deck covering games across the market. You will do a lot of running and gunning to ensure we get highlights from as many local schools as possible. We are looking for someone with innate curiosity and the ability to look beyond the obvious and common sports story. Our brand is multi-platform, and so are you!
Duties/Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Staying current on sports topics, local teams and local sports developments through reading, research, and contact with sports sources
* Fill-in anchoring as assigned
* Cover local sports stories of importance to our community
* Live reporting
* Writing and posting sports stories to WGEM.com daily
* Posting sports stories on all station Social Media platforms
* Learning and implementing all Newsroom technology
* Produce high-quality sports packages
* Develop sources and generate ideas
* Strong writing and journalism skills are a must for this role
* Ability to shoot, edit (Edius)
* Able to run a LiveU live kit
* Previous experience writing for web and broadcast is required
* Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communication or related field preferred
* Good writing skills and ability to function under deadline pressure
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Gray Television encourages all new employees to be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus virus prior to the first workday
Interested applicants can go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on “apply now”, upload your cover letter, resume, and references.
(Current employees that are interested in this position can apply through the Gray-TV UltiPro employee portal)
WGEM-TV/Gray Television Group, Inc. is a drug-free company
Job posted by an EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER