KBSI-TV, the FOX affiliate in Cape Girardeau, MO, is looking for an innovative leader who will be part of the team to develop and execute an innovative approach to journalism. The Managing Editor/Director of Now will lead the newsroom as it moves content throughout the day and night on its digital and broadcast platforms. The Managing Editor/Director of NOW will bring a creative, outside-the-box approach to newsgathering, winning breaking news and winning breaking weather! The ideal candidate will be passionate about leading the market in all news that is happening “NOW” across our digital and broadcast platforms. The ideal candidate will lead our team in telling stories about how those news developments impact the lives of the audience. The Managing Editor/Director of NOW will also create compelling “NOW” content for all platforms.
The Managing Editor/Director of Now will manage day-to-day production of high-quality content across multiple digital and broadcast platforms. The Managing Editor/Director of NOW will manage a newsroom staff, including a team of Reporter/MMJs in the field, by leading them in winning breaking news, assigning them daily stories and coaching them on news gathering, storytelling, and production value. The ideal candidate thrives in a breaking news environment and will lead the team with winning coverage every day.
The Managing Editor/Director of NOW will work closely with other newsroom managers to ensure outstanding content is produced for our digital and broadcast platforms. The Managing Editor/Director of NOW will also create content for distribution across the broadcast and digital platforms, including web, mobile, social, and emerging media properties. The Managing Editor/Director of NOW will grow our multi-media platforms and our staff members by training, coaching, and leading by example. The Managing Editor/Director of NOW will also ensure the team is prepared for upcoming newsworthy events that require advanced planning.
Competitive salary plus generous benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, vacation, paid holidays, and paid time off, plus exceptional growth opportunities.
• Strong leadership and communication skills; desire to grow with the company is a plus
• Relentless desire to win breaking news and breaking weather
• Love of storytelling and coaching others
• 3-5 years’ experience working across digital and broadcast platforms in a television newsroom environment
• Degree in Journalism, Communications, Digital Media, or the equivalent combination of experience and education, preferred
• Candidates should be self-starters who are comfortable working both independently and with others in a fast paced, work environment
• Strong organizational skills
• Excellent sense of urgency, while also maintaining calm under pressure
• Desire to be a key part of an innovative, growing team of digital journalists and take on additional responsibilities over time
• Lead a team of journalists to win breaking news and breaking weather on all platforms.
• Manage newsroom staff, including team of Reporter/MMJs. Assign daily stories and coach the news staff on newsgathering, storytelling, and production value.
• Set expectations for field crews regarding digital and broadcast needs throughout the day/night and stay in close contact with them throughout the day/night.
• Create content for all platforms.
• Plan coverage for upcoming events, both short-term and long-term.
• Work closely with other news managers to create high-quality content for all platforms.
• Research, write, edit, and publish time-sensitive local, regional, and national news, with a focus on clarity, fairness, legality, spelling, grammar, punctuation, and style.
• Write highly effective headlines and story summaries.
• Write, post, and monitor engaging social media content on multiple platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, etc.
• Post breaking news quickly and accurately while maintaining open communication with local newsroom staff as stories develop.
• On occasion, shoot interviews and cover stories outside of the office.
• Create and keep contacts list up-to-date for staff to access.
• Work with GM, other departments and news team to ensure the digital platforms and on-air assignments are in line with the brand.
For over ten years, Forbes has called Cape Girardeau one of the Best Small Places for Business & Careers, with a Cost of Living 12% below national average and a great Housing Affordability Index. Cape Girardeau County is known for its beautiful homes, parks, and churches, as well as its outstanding health and educational systems.
Standard Media Group-SMG is an innovative media company serving our communities through breaking news, impactful reporting, and innovative multi-screen marketing services.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter, along with examples (links and/or reel) of your work to: email@example.com.
Please denote how you became aware of this position in your response.
Standard Media Group-SMG is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Job posted by an EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OP-PORTUNITY EMPLOYER