KCUR seeks a highly curious, widely informed and exceptionally organized individual with excellent writing skills and extraordinary people skills to join the production team for Up to Date, our signature public affairs talk show.
An hour-long, weekday program hosted by veteran Kansas City journalist and executive producer Steve Kraske, Up to Date is a place for probing and provocative yet always civil conversations about the issues, people and events making news, shaping public policy and influencing the social and cultural life of the greater Kansas City metropolitan area, the Midwest and the nation.
This person will work closely with Kraske, our senior producer, other producers and interns to formulate program ideas and concepts, research topics, find, screen and book guests, write web posts, and maintain digital and social content for the program.
The producer will assist with live production of the daily broadcast, screening calls and effectively directing the program. They will also be largely responsible for managing Up To Date’s Twitter account, writing daily tweets and occasionally live-tweeting.
Integral to KCUR’s overall news operation, Up to Date draws on the resources of reporters and editors in the newsroom as well as our regional collaborators in the Midwest Newsroom, the Kansas News Service, Harvest Public Media, with additional support from our audience-development and podcasting teams.
Our new colleague must share our commitment to serving audiences throughout metropolitan Kansas City, must appreciate the power of collaborating with various personalities and must be able to stay calm during live radio broadcasts. They’ll thrive working on diverse projects each day in a clock-focused environment. And they’ll contribute productively to KCUR’s intentional culture of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging.
- Assist in the preparation of a live weekday talk show: Research and pitch show topics during weekly editorial meetings; assist in planning, researching, booking and scripting segments and ensuring the host is fully prepared with background research, interview questions and context.
- Assist in the production of a live weekday talk show, screening calls, communicating with the host and team.
- Manage the show’s digital and social media.
- Contribute show-related content to KCUR’s website via its content management system, including audio, text, and photos.
- Prepare program audio for individual podcasts with accompanying text and photos.
- Contact, screen, and book guests.
- Work with producer to create audio and text billboards and promos for the show.
- Prepare Up to Date content to share with the news department and audience development department.
- Be prepared to participate in fund-raising and community engagement activities, on air and off.
- Other duties as assigned.
A Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
At least 2 years of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or a related field required.
- One year of work experience in a radio, news, or public media organization.
- Experience operating a variety of broadcast equipment including audio boards, digital editing systems (e.g. Adobe Audition), and other production equipment.
- Ability and willingness to work a varied schedule.
- Experience producing content for digital and social platforms.
- Familiarity with journalism ethics and Associated Press style.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Good news judgment.
Up to $21.00 per hour, commensurate with experience, education and internal equity.
Statement on diversity at KCUR/Classical KC
KCUR and Classical KC are committed to ensuring that our workforce, community advisory board, and audience reflect the diversity found in the communities we serve. Central to KCUR’s mission, vision and values is maintaining a workplace environment that recognizes and celebrates diversity in all forms. For more information on our policies and governance, visit https://www.kcur.org/governance.
How to Apply
KCUR 89.3 is the NPR affiliate in Kansas City and is an editorially independent community service of the University of Missouri – Kansas City. Please apply online at UMKC’s website: https://info.umkc.edu/hr/careers/ Select “Staff Position,” then “View Jobs,” then “View All Jobs.” This posting will remain open until filled. For best consideration apply by February 13, 2023.