Are you looking for an excellent career opportunity combined with an outstanding quality of life in a growing riverfront market? KBSI/WDKA TV, the Standard Media owned duopoly located in Cape Girardeau, is looking for our next Director of Creative Services and Marketing. With one of the world’s most recognizable brands, we seek a passionate proponent of the industry who understands motivating a team of highly successful producers. In a competitive media environment, we are looking for a leader who creates a positive culture for our team. This individual should be highly organized and able to work closely with the FOX23 News and Sales teams in the development of creative, compelling, and engaging promotion and branding for our clients, affiliates, and news broadcast on multiple platforms. Must have an eye for good design, be able to shoot video, operate non-linear editing equipment, and must be Adobe Photoshop and After Effects proficient. To be a successful candidate you must be able to create, conceptualize, script, shoot, and edit cutting edge promos. Being a Local Broadcaster requires a commitment to your team and community, so this is an in-market/in-person job, based in Cape Girardeau Missouri, THE 92ND DMA.
The Creative Services Director is responsible for the development and execution of brand-and-buzz-building strategies to grow ratings, audience engagement, and revenue on all platforms. This person will be a member of the station leadership team and will play a key role in the integrated marketing planning and budgeting process. The ideal candidate will inspire creative excellence, and consistently ask, “what if?” to deliver consumer and advertiser campaigns for maximum reach and impact. The Creative Services Director will report directly to the General Manager and oversee all aspects of creative marketing for the brand, including but not limited to: on-air spots, off-channel multiplatform creative, print collateral, social media assets, set redesigns, internal branding, client production, and more. The right candidate will be the creative eyes and ears of the station ensuring cohesion, collaboration, consistency, and audience appeal. This is a wonderful opportunity to be a key player on an exciting team dedicated to building and strengthening the FOX23 and MY49 brand.
The ideal candidate is inherently creative and curious, living in a state of constant learning that can benefit the larger organization. They hold themselves to high professional standards, have a good sense of humor, check any ego at the door, and can quickly earn the respect of their colleagues. They are an effective communicator who can present and justify thoughts, ideas, and decisions in a clear, concise, and appropriate manner. They have excellent verbal and written communication skills and know how to tailor all communications to the audience for which it is intended. Can organize and develop presentations that effectively sell a given strategy, tell a story and can persuasively sell-in ideas/media plans/budgets/strategies to all levels of the station and corporate management, to advertisers and other stakeholders. They can effectively manage their departments and forge strong relationships with a variety of colleagues.
• Recruit, develop, and lead the FOX23/MY49 creative services team
• Push the boundaries of the station’s audience, revenue, and brand potential by serving as a collaborative business partner to the station’s leadership team
• Play a key role in the integrated marketing planning and budgeting process
• Conceptualizing and engineering the creation of compelling, multiplatform, original station image, news and entertainment programming, commercial campaigns, and when necessary, execute all visual elements personally. Based on the sound strategy outlined in creative briefs, campaigns must clearly and creatively reach stated goals and reinforce the value of the station’s brand. Concepts must work in all media including TV, digital, social, mobile.
• Proactively creating opportunities for audiences to connect with our content by developing annual and quarterly strategic plans, prioritizing key marketing messages, and generating breakthrough concepts and strategies.
• Developing and implementing audience development strategies by applying research insights, data, and analytics to marketing activations, including, but not limited to, content partnerships, digital marketing efforts and more.
• Acting as a collaborative architect for all touchpoints between the station and its audiences. Living as the station’s “chief brand officer,” evangelizing the brand and championing all brand-related matters inside the organization.
• Being a big, bold thinker/innovator and at times, disruptor, for the station. Staying abreast of cutting-edge tools, promotion trends, and campaigns. Collaborating daily with station’s news director and general manager, pushing the station into uncomfortable territory.
• Identifying and championing strategic, cross-department (such as news, digital, corporate) and cross-business unit, marketing tie-in efforts for maximum positive brand impact, marketplace visibility, and revenue generation.
• Leading a team of creative personnel to perfection in terms of execution, and directly supervising employees in the creative and promotions departments which will include hiring, training, disciplining, appraising the performance of employees, and more.
• Supporting local sales teams in generating non-traditional revenue dollars
• Communicate effectively with the General Manager on all creative service-related activities
• At least four years of consumer advertising and promotion experience with a promotion-specific record of success in the television/news industry, brand management, or marketing/digital/advertising agency. Experience creating and measuring integrated advertising campaigns supported by an outstanding creative ability and an exceptional portfolio (link to reel required).
• Hands-on experience in marketing content on both linear and non-linear platforms, including utilizing and optimizing display marketing campaign; re-targeting, social media, mobile marketing, etc.
• Experience with on-air planning and the ability to manage and maximize the station’s promotional inventory to drive viewership and other business goals.
• Proven track record of developing and producing revenue-driven client campaigns.
• Strong media planner and buyer who understands co-op spending and can build strong partnerships with network, syndicators, and other 3rd parties.
• Ability to work with a sense of urgency in a deadline-oriented, fast-paced team environment and juggle multiple projects and priorities at once.
• Comfortable working non-traditional hours to compete in breaking news situations
• Excellent manager capable of managing up, down, and across. Able to manage teams of both strategic and creative personnel.
• Firsthand, working knowledge of on-air and digital promotion production techniques, and familiarity with current production and photography trends.
• Experience translating broadcast designs and concepts to interactive digital and social media campaigns. Has a track record of successfully strengthening brands by applying tenets of branding, brand consistency and creative cohesion.
Standard Media Group-SMG is an innovative media company serving our communities through breaking news, impactful investigative reporting, and innovative multi-screen marketing services.
Please send resume and cover letter, along with examples (links and/or reel) of your work to: email@example.com Please denote how you became aware of this position in your response. No phone calls please.
Standard Media Group-SMG is an equal opportunity employer.