KSDK, 5 on Your Side, the award-winning NBC station in St. Louis, MO, is seeking an Associate Producer who can assist producers in writing and creating interesting newscasts in the 23rd market. An associate producer must be motivated to learn and grow as a journalist. The ideal candidate is a strong writer, with a desire to become a Broadcast Content Producer, and an ability to think creatively. Our associate producers use social media and digital tools skillfully to help create memorable newscasts. The winning candidate will love news and communicate well with peers. The new hire will be someone who can contribute ideas and isn’t afraid to express opinions.
The ideal candidate will have an “audience first” approach to writing and can’t wait to learn what it takes to produce a newscast and more. This is a behind-the-scenes role with potential to gain both production and leadership skills that will take you far in the television news industry. Recent graduates are encouraged to apply.
The KSDK newsroom is proudly “one content team”- meaning broadcast and digital share equal stage. You will be working in a learning environment, but the ideal candidate will walk in having studied the basics of journalism. We believe our newsroom culture sets 5 On Your Side apart because of our news managers’ strong commitment to professional growth, training, regular feedback and mentoring. If you’re a positive person, open to feedback and seeking a collaborative culture, we want to hear from you!
• Shadow newscast and digital producers with intent to learn what it takes to generate compelling content and products
• Write news stories for broadcast and online
• Screen and edit news video
• Focus on accuracy and balance in stories and social content through editing and working with reporters
• Respond to breaking news
• Update published content as stories develop
• Participate in editorial meetings and conversations
• Use digital and social analytics to inform editorial decisions
• Social listening: monitor social media for breaking news, find interesting stories, track trends and report findings to newsroom
• Review and respond to news releases, news tips, emails, user generated content and social media messages to identify unique, local and engaging content
• BA/BS in journalism, communications or related field.
• Understanding of the tenets of professional journalism
• Strong writing skills, a must
• Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time pressure deadlines
• Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekend, night and holiday shifts, a must
• Familiarity with St. Louis and/or a reason to relocate here will make your application stand out.
Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
Job posted by an EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER