91.9 Classical KC, Kansas City’s 24/7 classical music radio and digital service, has an amazing opportunity to join Kansas City’s newest classical community institution. We seek an energetic, creative person to join our team as our community engagement specialist.
This position serves a dual role: as an announcer for classical music as well the lead coordinator of outreach goals. The community engagement specialist/host coordinates with the station’s staff, connects with musicians, arts presenters, educators and others in the music community to promote classical music on Classical KC.
What makes you the ideal candidate for this job? You’re able to shed traditional classical music delivery stereotypes and invite an audience of diverse ages and cultural backgrounds to participate in this art form using best practices of public radio storytelling and a tone that energizes, excites and enriches listeners.
You’re a highly driven, creative, and thoughtful colleague who can make connections between musicians and Kansas City-area culture that benefit Classical KC and the Kansas City arts community.
This position reports to the Director of Classical KC.
About Classical KC:
Classical KC and ClassicalKC.org are designed to reflect and serve Kansas City’s vibrant and energetic arts scene. The station is a startup project of KCUR 89.3, one of the nation’s most innovative and fastest-growing NPR stations.
Classical KC has a mission to engage, educate, inspire and entertain. The station features performances by local, national and international artists. Classical KC seeks to create innovative and informative programs fueled by the region’s intellectual and cultural diversity and its abundant arts organizations. We champion this music in all its forms.
We believe that delivering classical music can connect with and inspire audiences in an emotional and meaningful way. We believe that Classical KC can help to develop diverse classical music audiences in Kansas City.
– Sets outreach and engagement goals with Classical KC staff
– Cultivates relationships with regional music/arts organizations on-air and elsewhere, and finds meaningful ways to partner with local arts events
– Works with Classical KC / KCUR’s audience development team and events team to create and staff events to increase audience engagement with Classical KC
– Hosts on-air shift, using engagement with community organizations to help advise music director on ways to integrate recordings that reflect those local organizations
– Interviews guests
– Serves as co-host during concert broadcasts
– Assists in fundraising on and off air
– Works closely with other departments and station staff
– Performs other duties as assigned
A Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience and at least 2 years of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary
The ideal candidate will have the following:
– 2 years of experience as a classical music host or related experience.
– Knowledge of classical music
– Demonstrated radio broadcast announcing ability and basic radio operation skills.
– Familiarity with ENCO DAD (or equivalent automation software) and MusicMaster (or similar scheduling software)
Up to $22.50 per hour, commensurate with experience, education and internal equity.
How to Apply:
KCUR 89.3 is the NPR affiliate in Kansas City and is an editorially independent community service of the University of Missouri-Kansas City. 91.9 Classical KC is a 24/7 public radio classical music service designed to reflect and serve Kansas City’s vibrant and energetic arts scene. Please apply online at UMKC’s website: https://info.umkc.edu/hr/careers/ Select “Staff Position,” then “View Jobs,” then “View All Jobs.”
Open until filled; review of applications will begin immediately.