KSDK 5 On Your Side (NBC – St. Louis) is recruiting an innovative newsroom leader to build trust and loyalty with our audience through strong journalism and owning the big story. The role of Assistant News Director will be filled by a collaborative, experienced journalist who is great at coordinating the many aspects of breaking news and weather, highly competitive and accustomed to juggling multiple projects. The ideal candidate brings a strong producing background, loves news and is equally knowledgeable and passionate about broadcast and digital. You’ll join a management team responsible for ensuring our daily content reflects the diverse views and communities we serve across all platforms.
• Think critically, lead decision making in competitive news and weather situations
• Collaborate with news and digital directors to execute long-term newsroom strategy
• Oversee the on-air execution of newscasts to ensure solid production values and innovation; troubleshoot problems
• Oversee on-air graphics and coverage branding decisions, in coordination with news content managers and producers
• Train, develop and coach newsroom producers and photographers to elevate writing, showcasing, use of studio, live shots and storytelling
• Participate in coordinating all aspects of planned coverage, from breaking news and sports to enterprise story production and news specials.
• Ensure that news coverage meets the brand, company policies, industry codes, FCC rules and station values
• Support daily newsroom operations, review scripts, video and web copy, as needed
• Manage schedules of newsroom talent, in coordination with news managers
• Develop efficiencies in operations and scheduling
• Maintain laser focus on quality on-air and online
• Special projects and other duties, as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field
• Minimum 7 years’ of industry leadership/teaching/management experience
• Minimum 3 years’ newscast producing experience
• Track record of quality journalism, high integrity and ethical decision making
• Passion for growing journalists and fostering a creative and positive newsroom environment
• Ability to calmly handle urgent, live, breaking news situations and changing events
• Strong planning and organizational skills
• Excellent people-skills
• Familiarity with or reason to relocate to St. Louis area, a plus.
• Comfortable working non-traditional hours in breaking news situations
Rarely: less than 10%
Work Environment Set:
Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
Physical Demands Set:
Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.