KSDK 5 On Your Side, TEGNA’s NBC affiliate in St. Louis, is recruiting a Digital Desk Producer who is curious about the world and has a vision for local news on multiple platforms. The ideal candidate will have an “audience first” approach to producing and distributing content that meets consumers where they are.
They have experience newsgathering, deploying crews and tracking multiple stories at once.
Digital Desk Producers are leaders in our newsroom who aggressively cover breaking and developing stories through a filter of strong news judgment. This person will join a combined assignment desk and digital team that manages newsroom assignments and oversees the quality of 5 On Your Side stories across all platforms.
This person will help the launch of 5 On Your Side Plus, a 24/7 streaming platform on OTT devices.
We believe in constant learning, but the ideal candidate will walk in having been trained in the basics of writing thorough articles and engaging headlines, optimized for different audience needs.
• Produce audience first, engaging content through digital articles, videos, and interactive elements
• Gather and share story updates, tips and information internally
• Strategically program the 24/7 live stream on 5 On Your Side Plus with live and recorded video
• Focus on accuracy and balance in stories through editing and working with reporters
• Work with urgency to publish and broadcast breaking news and update as needed
• Be a leader in editorial meetings and conversations, including pitching stories
• Use digital and social analytics to inform editorial decisions
• Monitor social media for breaking news, find interesting stories, track trends and report findings to newsroom
• Review and respond to news releases, news tips, emails, user generated content and social media messages to identify unique, local and engaging content
• Work with digital managers, newsroom leaders and all producers to coordinate the development and distribution of content across all editorial platforms
• Do all necessary reporting efforts to turn information into digital content, such as make calls, get pictures or video to support a story, research and confirm information, etc.?
• Collaborate with other TEGNA stations, NBC affiliates and other partners to search trending content and publish compelling stories, photos and video from our corporate network across web, mobile and social media platforms
• BA/BS in journalism, communications or related field
• Understanding the tenants of professional journalism
• 2-5 years of experience on an assignment desk or digital team preferred
• Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time pressure deadlines
• Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
• Experience with content management systems
• Knowledge of Google Analytics, CrowdTangle, Edius or ENPS a plus
• Strong social media skills, including an active news hound presence on Twitter and Facebook
• Basic image and video editing skills preferred
• Knowledge of the AP Stylebook preferred
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekend, night and holiday shifts
• Familiarity with St. Louis and/or a reason to relocate here will make your application stand out. Please mention in your cover letter!
• Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
• Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
• Physical Demands Set: Light work: Involves sitting most of the time, walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.