KOMU 8 News is looking for a Chief Meteorologist to lead its award-winning team.
KOMU 8, an NBC affiliate in Columbia, Missouri, is the most unique newsroom in the country with the dual mission of serving mid-Missouri and training the next generation of journalists. The Chief Meteorologist is responsible for preparing accurate, timely and ethical weather forecasts. The chief will oversee at least 2 talented meteorologists in the department. You’ll have several weather forecasting and data gathering tools at your disposal, including a Storm Tracker vehicle and several weather cameras throughout Mid-Missouri. This area gets all four seasons and is prone to severe weather.
We’re looking for someone with at least 3 years of experience to continue our award-winning brand of weather coverage. An AMS and/or NWA seal is bonus. Our Chief Meteorologist is an ambassador for the station and will be expected to participate in a number of community events throughout the year. You’ll visit classrooms, emcee large gatherings, and field anchor from big events. You’ll also be expected to have a strong social media presence. Our community loves weather and loves to engage with our meteorologists. Also, as a teaching station, the ideal candidate would be excited about working with college students – both in news and in meteorology. Our last Chief meteorologist was a beloved member of the Mid-Missouri community. We hope you’ll take advantage of this rare opportunity!
– Prepare and deliver daily weather content for all platforms
– Prepare and deliver urgent weather updates interrupting regular programming as necessary
– Must have flexibility to work any shift and long hours during severe weather
– Must be willing to have and maintain a strong social media presence and engage with the audience
– Must be willing to research, gather, write, edit and when necessary, shoot weather stories for all platforms
– Must be willing to lead and produce weather specials
– Must be willing to report live during major weather events and/or station sponsored events
– Perform various community service activities for station as assigned
– Must be able to train and mentor students in the Atmospheric Science program
– Must be willing to critique, provide feedback and take part in training when necessary
– Perform other job duties as assigned
Salary based on education and experience
Shifts may vary
Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience and at least 2 years of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary.
• Bachelor’s or master’s degree in meteorology or a related field is preferred
• 3-years of television experience required
• Experience in television weather is a must
• Basic experience with both weather and newsroom computer systems is preferred
This position is eligible for University benefits. The University offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental and vision plans, retirement, paid time off, and educational fee discounts. For additional information on University benefits, please visit the Faculty & Staff Benefits website at http://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefits
The University of Missouri is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery and excellence.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor of Human Resource Services/Affirmative Action officer at 573-882-4256.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Disability Inclusion and ADA Compliance Manager at 573-884-7278.
EEO IS THE LAW