KSDK 5 On Your Side, the NBC affiliate in St. Louis (Market 23) is looking for a recent college graduate who might otherwise begin their career in a smaller market. This is a unique opportunity to work alongside and receive training from award-winning veteran journalists in a top 25 market.
This is a one-year contract at a competitive salary and full benefits. The program will focus on all aspects of improving as an MSJ: interviewing, shooting, writing, editing, and on-camera performance. The reporter will learn newsroom leadership, and how to write and report for the web quickly and clearly. This reporter would work a variety of shifts, filling in when other reporters take time off. Along with a resume and audition reel, you will be asked to send links to recent digital work.
We believe our newsroom culture sets 5 On Your Side apart because of our news managers’ strong commitment to our employees’ professional growth, training, regular feedback, and mentoring. If you’re a great teammate who seeks a collaborative newsroom culture, we want to hear from you.
• Develop story ideas, report, shoot and edit news stories for on-air and online.
• Generate unique, compelling and innovative story/show ideas and content.
• Skilled at calmly handling live, breaking news situations and changing events.
• Ability to communicate stories in conversational manner with an ensemble team.
• Deliver stories that offer a balance in perspectives.
• Write and post daily on all digital platforms.
• Use of social media for news gathering/disseminating and community engagement.
• Cultivate sources and enterprise lead worthy reports.
• Community and/or talent appearances.
• Perform other tasks as required, including working a variety of shifts to fill in for reporters who take time off.
• Journalism or Mass Communication degree preferred
• Demonstrated ability to work under pressure.
• Excellent, creative presentation and writing skills, a must.
• Knowledge of ENPS and Edius, a plus.
• Knowledge of PowerPoint, a plus.
• Strong social media skills, including an active presence on Twitter and Facebook
• Familiarity with St. Louis or a reason to relocate here will set your application apart
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.