The News Producer creates, coordinates, and executes the newscasts. This position provides editorial and production direction to field crews regarding content, coordination and newscast execution.
In addition, they need to coordinate efforts of Anchors, Reporters, Editors and other staff toward crafting a compelling newscast. Develops day-to-day on-air look of the newscast to attract the largest available audience to the station’s profitable newscasts.
Essential Job Functions
50% – Previews news material before airing. Writes, edits and researches show elements. Prepares interview segments. Coordinates breaking stories. Selects graphics and pre-production elements. Proof reads scripts. Coordinates breaking news and executes show in the control room. Edits video as necessary.
10% – Collaborates with executive producer, reporters, assignment desk and photographers to determines the content of broadcasts. Participates in story planning meetings.
10% – Times the show while on air; meets all requirements of commercial content and off-times.
10% – Conceptualizes innovative graphic and pre-production elements. Monitors and works to constantly improve and evolve the look and execution of newscasts.
10% – Coordinates with creative services department to develop effective promotions for upcoming shows, newscasts and events.
10% – Assists the assignment desk and edits tape as necessary.
One to two years producing or production support experience for a television or cable station.
Minimum Qualifications and Job Requirements: All must be met to be considered
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Broadcast Journalism, Communications or a related field, or equivalent training and/or experience preferred.
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience using Avid, internet production tools, MS Office and Wide Orbit strongly preferred.
- Ability to work a flexible work schedule and work as a member of a team.
- Must possess advanced understanding of newscast presentation.
- Must possess excellent writing and graphics skills with ability to provide an interesting and substantive product.
- Must be results oriented.
- Ability to focus on coordination of daily and long range segments from first contact to on-air product.
- Must possess strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a creative, fast paced environment.
- Ability to make quick decisions without losing composure.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects and assignments simultaneously.
- Previous experience with script writing and editorial experience preferred.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License.
We are always on the lookout for bright, creative talent to be part of the Meredith team.
Visit us today at: